It still comes as a surprise to a lot of people when we tell them that more motorbikes/scooters are stolen in the UK than cars.
When you actually see how easy it is to steal a bike, you can understand why it is still such an escalating problem. It can take as little as 20 seconds to steal a bike worth tens of thousands of pounds.
The ease and quickness of cutting a chain, and wheeling a bike in to the back of a van, have seen an increasingly higher urgency and demand for bike trackers to protect your personal and prized items.
With bikes of all kinds (whether a motorcycle, scooter or pedal bike), it's not just the inconvenience of theft that causes stress, it's the violation and invasion of an item that holds personal and sentimental value to the owner.
With bikes in London being most at risk, and a shocking £105 million lost every year through theft, TrackerShop have highlighted a few methods you can take to help avoid your bike meeting the same fate.
- The most obvious, is to secure your bike inside a garage or lock-up. If a thief can't see your bike, or doesn't know it exists, then they will obviously not be able to steal it!
- A steering lock. More as an initial theft deterrent. Any thief who's serious about stealing a bike won't be beaten by a steering lock.
- A bike lock. And to further maximise the effectiveness, pass the lock through the frame; and ensure that the lock is not resting on the ground (theives can use this to hammer a lock/chain off).
- Whether in a garage, shed, lock up- do not keep your keys in the same place as your bike. The same goes for the bike's papers.
- An alarm. What is appealing about bike theft is that it is hard to detect during the theft. Thieves find it quick and easy to take a bike, even in a busy street. The detonation of an alarm will draw attention to a thief, and quickly rouse suspicion.
Of course, any or all combinations of these methods are not 100% effective. And if a thief is insistent (so many rely on bike theft as a main source of income), they will always find a way to get what they want.
That's why many police forces that we work with, have urged bike owners to use/install our GPS Bike trackers as the first and most effective way of avoiding even more thefts.
One of the most popular bike tracker's is The Shield (scooter/bike) tracker.
Just some of the features on this highly advanced device:
- Achieve an instant location report, just by phoning your bike tracker. You will receive a text message, with a GoogleMap link of your bike's location. You can also receive mileage, history SOS and speed reports.
- A full location history via the software that we provide for you. Your tracker will provide 6 month's worth of history with 3 minute reporting intervals.
- The Shield looks nondescript, and design blends in with the architecture of your bike.
- The Shield will send an alert to your phone if the GPS antenna is cut. So even if a thief finds the GPS tracker, you will still have been alerted of their actions.
- Set a Geo-Fence. When your bike leaves a certain area, you will be alerted instantly.
- Simple to fit. Any bike owner will be able to install their own GPS tracker in minutes.
With ever increasing intelligence in theft, it's so important to provide increasingly effective solutions. Our GPS bike trackers are tried and tested as a way of ensuring that, if someone has intentions of taking your bike/scooter without your permission, you will instantly know about it.
If you would like to know more, please do give us a call. We're always happy to answer any questions.